Vincent is a member of the Firm’s Dispute Resolution Practice Group. He has handled significant litigation and arbitration matters for and on behalf of the firm and has advised and represented clients across various industries including oil and gas, telecommunications, admiralty, taxation, employment, tort, land matters as well as representing clients’ interests in judicial review actions against the National Assembly and agencies of the Federal and State Governments in Nigeria. Below are some of the notable matters that he has handled:
- Acted for an indigenous Oil Exploration Company sued as a party in an action commenced by a leading Nigerian Bank to enforce charges created by various deeds of debenture following default in loan repayment obligations.
- Acted for an indigenous company, the joint holder of participating interest in a marginal field area, in arbitration proceedings arising from a dispute with its joint venture partner over the interpretation of parties’ rights under the suite of agreements governing the joint venture.
- Represented an indigenous shipping and logistics company in various commercial disputes with its sub-lessee, a notable international ship manufacturing company before an arbitral tribunal sitting in London and the Federal High Court of Nigeria. The issues in contention include inducement of breach of contract, the validity and subsistence of a lease agreement with the Nigeria Ports Authority (NPA) and validity of excision of lease area to the sub-lessee by the NPA.
- Undertook the defence of two leading Nigerian Banks in a multi-trillion Naira suit filed on behalf of the Nigerian Postal Service for the enforcement of the provisions of the Stamp Duties Act relating to the payment of stamp duty on all receipts, electronic transfers, and teller deposit of monies from 2004 to 2013 for every amount exceeding N1000.
- Represented a major indigenous telecommunications company in arbitration proceedings at the IDRC, London, commenced by an English Premier League Club arising from a dispute over parties’ respective obligations and liabilities under a Sponsorship Agreement.
- Represented the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation at the Federal High Court and Court of Appeal in a dispute arising from arbitration proceedings instituted by its joint venture partner in respect of deduction of tax oil under the production sharing contract.
- Represented an indigenous offshore engineering and vessel charter company service provider, in an admiralty action filed at the Federal High Court, in the Port Harcourt and Lagos Divisions, challenging the arrest of the Company’s vessels. Successfully challenged the enforcement of an arbitral award against the Company and set aside consequent arrest orders issued against the client’s vessels.
- Represented an indigenous offshore engineering and vessel charter company in an ongoing admiralty action at the Port Harcourt Division of the Federal High Court for the arrest of an FPSO laden with oil cargo over non-payment of debt arising from services rendered to the FPSO.
- Represented, an investor in national power assets in an arbitration proceeding at the London Court of International Arbitration regarding a dispute in relation to the shareholding and funding arrangements entered with its joint venture partner, for the acquisition of stake in the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company.
- Represented an indigenous company at the Federal High Court and the Court of Appeal in a multi-million Naira claim against the Receiver/Managers of an insolvent company to recover its indebtedness. The Defendants include a tier 1 Nigerian Bank and an International Financial Services/Consultancy. Successfully obtained judgment against the receiver/managers which was upheld by the Court of Appeal. The matter is currently before the Supreme Court.
- Represented an indigenous oil and gas company at all the superior courts of record in an action filed by another indigenous oil company, challenging the bid procedure and divestment of 40% interest in 3 Oil Mining Leases by an international oil company.
- Undertaking the defence of an indigenous Oil and Gas company in actions pending at the Lagos and Warri Divisions of the Federal High Court bordering on alleged pollution of land, air and waterways and seeking compensation for loss of fishing rights and devastation of environment.
- Stockholm University, Sweden
International Commercial Arbitration (LL.M in view)
- Nigerian Law School
Barrister at Law (B.L)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka
Bachelor of Law (LL. B)
- Member, Nigerian Bar Association (NBA)
- Member, International Bar Association (IBA)
- Member, Business Recovery and Insolvency Practitioners Association of Nigeria (BRIPAN)
- Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, (UK.)
- Co-author, The Tax Disputes Litigation Review – 11th Edition – Nigeria – https://thelawreviews.co.uk/title/the-tax-disputes-and-litigation-review.