Chinasa Unaegbunam is a Managing Partner of the Firm. She is also the team leader in the Firm’s Dispute Resolution and Aviation Practice Groups. Chinasa has played a leading role in advising and representing several international clients in the aviation and oil and gas sectors, while leveraging on her litigation and arbitration experience. She has acted in a wide range of commercial disputes including oil and gas, company law, aviation, employment, construction, domestic trade disputes and taxation.
Chinasa was also co-counsel responsible for drafting the Civil Aviation Act and the subsequent declarations made by Nigeria in pursuance of the Cape Town Convention. She has been involved in the review of power industry template contracts and advised on proposed greenfield power projects.
Chinasa’s representation in several notable dispute resolution, power and aviation transactions include:
- The N213 billion Nigerian Electricity Market Stabilization Facility, an intervention fund established to resolve liquidity issues in the Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry by settling outstanding legacy gas debts among other measures.
- A multi-trillion Naira suit filed for the enforcement of the provisions of the Stamp Duties Act relating to the payment of stamp duty on all receipts, electronic transfers and teller deposit of monies from 2004 to 2013 for every amount exceeding N1000.
- A Federal High Court to Supreme Court appeal to secure the purchase of three oil blocks by a company listed on the London Stock Exchange and the Nigerian Stock Exchange from another international oil and gas company.
- Securing a multimillion-dollar export credit facility from US EXIM Bank for the acquisition of new aircraft.
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (UK).
- Member, International Aviation Women’s Association.
- Council Member, Nigerian Bar Association, Section on Business law (NBA-SBL).
- Nigerian Law School (BL)
- University of Nigeria Nsukka (LLB)
Co–Author of the Nigerian chapter of Getting the Deal Through Publications:
- Aviation Finance & Leasing
- Enforcement of Foreign Judgements
- Aviation Liability
- Air Transport